Thursday, April 4, 2013

Miss Traveling Chicken with Brande Arno

6 x 6 inches, Oil on Board


Miss Traveling Chicken and her entourage arrived at my studio on March 29.  I was so happy to receive her visit that I was just about jumping up and down!  She let me know that roosting in the studio while I was roasting the Easter Ham would be just Chicky.  I told her that in the meantime, think about how I should paint her likeness.  I waited and waited.

So today, she gave me the answer.  She didn't just want her painting on an easel...she wanted to be ON THE easel.  OK, so I do happen to have several small easels in the studio.  In short order, she picked the one that best suited her coloring and working together, we got the right pose. 

I have to say, she stays "in pose" well.  I gave her several breaks while I got coffee and she gave me some guidance on the background colors.  I listened because she's been in many a studio and has seen  all manner of palettes.  We are both happy with this painting.  

We'll probably have one more day in the studio and then I have to send Miss Traveling Chicken on her way to the next artist.  It will be hard to say goodbye, so I'll probably put my name back on the waiting list so she'll return.

- Brande Arno

10 comments:

  1. Bravo Brande! Love your painting & your story! She does stay "in pose" rather well, doesn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little chick picked the perfect place to perch! The painting is wonderful and the story is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea of posing Miss Chicken on an easel is cute and so is Miss her portrait. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!!! Miss Chicken is quite a fine model. She sits well and is quiet and calm when you paint her.

    You did a super job on her portrait. I can tell that you had fun doing this!!!

    GREAT JOB! Elle Gould

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Traveling Chicken and myself thank you for your supportive words on our collaborative work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks very plucky. I'm sure she was glad it was a ham cooking for Easter dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful concept! Wish I would have known about this sooner, but I will be checking in regularly to see where Miss Chicken has been visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely story Arne:) It made me smile, as a matter of fact, I'm still smiling! I think you both had a wonderful time together:) Lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brande,
    I decided to check the Traveling Chicken blog to see if you had posted a painting 'yet', and low and behold you had posted it days ago. Way to go girl! Miss Chicken and her friends arrived - you had Easter, and Wham! Bang! you then painted a fantastic painting!
    It sounds like Miss Chicken was a good model for you in your studio and I love the painting. She looks perfect on her easel.
    Yours in art,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam,
      Miss Traveling Chicken was such good company. She speaks through inspiring the artists she visits.

      Delete